Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Grand Turk
November 28, 2006

We weren't too tired in the morning considering that a donkey outside woke us up a few times with some very loud and strange sounds. There was coffee in our suite so we had granola bars and coffee before our dive. Part of our package at the Island House includes use of a car, which is very handy. There was no need to show a drivers license or pay for insurance. All we need to do is replace any fuel which can't be very much considering the size of the island. We also have to remember to close a gate when leaving so that cows don't come in and eat the vegetation. Their not concerned about donkeys.
The Island House made arrangements for us to dive with Oasis Divers. I don't dive very often so it usually takes me a day or two to get comfortable. The water was around 82 degrees with good visibility. This is my third time in Grand Turk and after diving in many places around the world, I still think Grand Turk is one of the best. The coral was in good condition and there were fish galore. We saw a huge hawksbill turtle that was apparently very comfortable with divers. If I wanted to I could have touched him. David took photos and I'll be posting them after he fixes the lighting with Photoshop.
This was a two tank dive but after the first dive I was tired and decided to rest and do a one tank afternoon dive. David did the second dive.
When he returned he had a sheepish grin on his face. He managed to flood his camera and it was beyond repair. He's been talking about buying a new one and didn't seem very upset. He told me that either he didn't seal the housing properly or it got rattled on the boat. For the rest of the trip he's going to use my digital camera. I don't mind since I'm the world's worst underwater photographer.
I did the afternoon dive and it was totally amazing. The site could have been called Turtle City since I saw at least four hawksbill turtles. Toward the end of the dive the divemaster made a clicking sound to get our attention. I turned around and to my delight a school of bottlenose dolphins came swimming my way. WoW!
When the dive was over David was waiting for me. I felt bad that he missed the turtles and dolphins but couldn't keep it a secret. His dissapointment couldn't have been anything like mine when I skipped the dive where he saw a whaleshark. That happened over twelve years ago and he made it up to me last April in Utila.
Our dinner tonight wasn't very memorable, but that's not what we came to Grand Turk for. If you want a place with white, sandy beaches, nightlife, great restaurants, entertainment, sailing, jet skis, water skiing, gambling, and shopping, then don't bother coming to Grand Turk. If on the other hand, you want a very quiet island, modest accommodations, and incredible diving, this is the place for you!
Tonight's sky was beautiful, so if David is correct again we should have beautiful weather tomorrow!

No comments: